Ready, Set… Network!
For the first time ever, CWS held a speed networking event to bring current and future generations of water industry professionals together to cultivate an inclusive, diverse, and thriving water sector.
Early career professionals and students were personally invited by program directors and industry organizations in partnership with Water Canada magazine. During the event, they had the opportunity to learn from and network with experts representing different streams of Canada’s water sector. They took part in a series of seven 15-minute roundtable discussions facilitated by experienced water professionals.
Downstream by the Numbers
How does it work?
Students Cycled through a series of brief roundtable discussions that aimed to address three key questions in relation to the table’s predetermined topic:
What are the trends in this stream?
What are the challenges?
What are the opportunities for early career professionals?
Stationed at each table, alongside the expert was a notetaker who captured comments, questions, and feedback that will be included in a followup industry report. The report will provide guidance to industry organizations looking to attract and retain young talent as we continue to address an ongoing skills shortage in the environment and water sectors.
- Students will come away with key contacts and information that will provide direction and opportunities for career growth.
- A better understanding of potential career paths that are available to them.
- Opportunity to connect with other early career professionals.
- Industry professionals will gain valuable insights to better attract and retain young talent.
- Engage with future generations of water sector leaders, ultimately learning what motivates and excites new graduates as they choose areas of specialty.
The 2022 Inaugural Downstream Event Experts
- Collaborating with Indigenous Communities – Yogendra Chaudhry, ECO Canada
- Emerging Contaminants – Robert Haller, CWWA
- Making Meaningful Connections – Farokh Laqa Kakar, Young Water Professionals
- The Role of Cleantech – Indra Maharanjan, OCWA
- Protecting Source Water – Jon Radtke, Coca Cola
- Opportunities in the North – Anna Naylor, Students on Ice
- Reasons to Love Canadian Wetlands – Mark Gloutney, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Who can attend:
If you are interested in attending or sponsoring future Downstream events, please reach out to [email protected] for more information.